Monday, September 14, 2009

Ruth Ann Ayelen is here!!!







She is finally here and she is beautiful!! We arrived at the hospital a little after noon on Sept.13th. I got checked in and all was set up. When they put the heart monitor on the baby they told us her heartbeat was too fast. It was in the 190's. It should be around 160. They were a little nervous about that. They started giving me IV fluid thinking I was dehydrated. Dr. Danielson broke my water around 1:00. I was 3 cm dilated. Because baby's heartbeat was fast they decided to put on an internal monitor. It attaches to the baby's head and gives a more accurate reading. I started having contractions, but they weren't very strong or consistant. Around 4:30 Dr. Danielson came in to check my progress. She told me that if I hadn't dilated anymore that she would have to start pitocin. I hadn't made any progress so pitocin was started probably around 5:00. Within 10 minutes I was starting to feel contractions. They felt like they were very close. I barely had a break in between. I finally asked the dr. if I could get up and she said I could. I used my birthing ball and stood some. Around 6:30 I started to feel pressure. Greg went and got the nurse so she could check me. I was 6 cm dilated and in a lot of pain. After she checked me I couldn't get up out of the bed. The contractions were coming too fast. Greg was scratching my arm trying to sooth me. He kept telling me I was doing so good. About 6:45 I told Greg I couldn't do it anymore. I needed medicine NOW!!! He went out and told them I was ready for meds. About 2 contractions later I told Greg I felt like pushing and he needed to get someone. The nurse came rushing in and checked dilation during a contraction to see how far down baby was. That pain was so horrible!!! She ran to the door and said, "She's complete, someone call Dr. Danielson." When I head those words I had two thoughts, relief and NO, I need meds!! Right away two nurses were at my side. My body kept trying to push but the nurses kept telling me no. The nurse on my right would tap me on the shoulder really hard and say, "Emily, open your eyes, blow." I was so frustrated with her because at that point the pain was coming from not being allowed to push. I know they wanted the dr. there, but it hurt so bad. After what we think was about 10 minutes I finally saw my dr. Her face was one of shock. She only had time to put gloves on before Ruthie made her grand entrance. I have never been in more pain in my life, but I have never felt such a sense of accomplishment. I did what I have been planning on doing for the last nine months. I had a completely unmedicated labor and birth. I had done it with Sam (not by choice) but I wan't proud of the way I did it. I wanted to be proud of the way Ruthie came into the world. And I am! It wasn't easy, but it was worth every ounce of pain I went through. She is so amazing! I already love having a daughter. She weighed 7lbs. 2 oz. and was 20 1/4 inches long. Just perfect. We came home from the hospital last night. When we left she weighed 6lbs. 7 oz. She has been eatin great and pooping a lot so the nurses weren't concerned with the weight loss. Right now she is sitting in the swing bought with money from her GG. She has the pink blanky over her that her Beemy made. So precious. Here are a few pics of our first few days together.

1 comment:

New Life West said...

yeah...! No meds...good job! I know what it feels like, horrible but a good feeling afterwards.
We are so happy for you guys, she is beautiful!